Sunday, May 17, 2015

Super Smash Bros Party

I've been a very busy mama these past few weeks preparing for my oldest son's 9th Birthday party. He is a big time gamer, so it wasn't a surprise that he chose a Super Smash Bros theme. We worked together (with the help of Pinterest) to come up with a bunch of fun snacks and treats. I made everything myself to keep costs down.
I'm not a baker so the Kirby cookies were the first time I have made sugar cookies from scratch and the first time I have used Royal icing.  It wasn't as difficult as I imagined, but getting the right consistency was a challenge. They turned out super cute and tasted delicious! The toad pops were also a challenge to make, but turned out adorable in the end. These, on the other hand, were just way too sweet even for the kids. We threw almost all of them away after the party.
The favors were water bottles I got from the Dollar Spot at Target. I used my Silhouette Cameo to design and cut the vinyl stickers. I loved being able to customize them with each child's name and the Super Smash Bros logo.
The background was created using this tutorial. It took me a couple hours to create because I am a perfectionist and kept tweaking it. First I cut the strips to thick and had to re-cut them all, then I realized that there was just too much space at the top, so I un-braided and each section and cut them up a bit higher before re-braiding. The next day my thighs burned from doing so many squats lol. 
Alex found this Mega Gengar hat and fell in love. We ordered it from this shop on Etsy expecting it to be delivered a week after his actual birthday (the seller hand makes each hat and ships from Guatemala), but we were surprised when the mail rang our door bell minutes before the first guests arrived and handed him the package! It is super awesome, great quality and came way faster then expected.
For the actual party we set up a projector and the kids played Super Smash Bros on the Wii U and jumped on the trampoline. I didn't want to over schedule with a bunch of specific games and I think the kids really enjoyed just playing together while munching on fun food. 
After the party we were all pooped! Jossy and Weston both passed out in random places. I guess they had a lot of fun at their big brother's party!

2 comments:

  1. This is awesome! I'm working on my own son's super smash bros party this weekend and I'll definitely be using this as inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where did you get the food labels and where can I get them, too? They are perfect for what I am looking for. Your post is so helpful!

    ReplyDelete